The cold front that meteorologists have called “The Arctic Blast” is in full effect.
As temperatures drop, residents are doing everything they can to stay warm. Whether that means cranking up the heater, dragging out the electric blanket or tossing a few logs into the fireplace, residents should take precautions to ensure that safety is not sacrificed in exchange for warmth.
There is nothing quite like getting warm in front of a roaring fire. In addition to the warmth provided, many residents love the sight and sound of a traditional fireplace. However, when left unchecked, a fireplace can be a major fire hazard.
It is important for homeowners who have a fireplace to be sure it is well maintained to prevent possible fires.
Fireline.com recommends that chimneys and vents should be cleaned and periodically inspected to prevent the buildup of creosote. A large buildup of creosote could cause an ignition, due to its high flammability.
Another easy way to make sure fireplaces are safe is to make sure they have a screen in front of them to prevent sparks from causing a fire in the home. The screen should be made of metal or tempered glass.
Additionally, trash or debris of any kind should not be close to the fireplace.
For residents who do not have fireplaces, space heaters are a popular way to fight of the icy chill of winter. While most stores carry a space heater in some form or another, it is important to buy a space heater that has the proper safety requirements to prevent fires and accidents.
One thing that is recommended is a space heater with an automatic shut off switch. The switch will ensure that the heater shuts down when it reaches a dangerously high level of heat.
Placing the heater in the right location is equally as important as its safety features. Heaters should not be placed near any trash or debris.
Children and pets should remain at least three feet away from the heater to prevent burns, Additionally heaters should be kept away from curtains, blankets, and other cloth home decor.
Experts and fire safety officials always recommend that citizens check and make sure that smoke detectors have batteries and are fully functional.
While things like safety can be hard to remember that during the hustle and bustle of modern life, it is always better to be safe than sorry.