Mother of slain 9-year-old New Orleans boy facing charges
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The mother of a 9-year-old killed in front of his home is now in custody.
Donna Howard, 32, faces charges of cruelty to a juvenile, accessory to escape after the fact and contributing to the delinquency of juveniles, multiple news outlets report. Howard was arrested Wednesday and is being held in the Orleans Parish jail. It was unknown if she has an attorney who could speak on her behalf.
Howard is accused of not getting medical help for her 14-year-old son after he was shot in a separate incident. She is also accused of not telling police about the shooting or surrendering him after he escaped from a juvenile detention center in May.
Howard's younger son, Devante Bryant, was killed last week in a shooting that also left a 15-year-old girl and 13-year-old injured. Both teenagers survived. Police are still searching for those responsible for that shooting.
"We will hold everyone accountable," Mayor LaToya Cantrell said at a news conference involving Howard's arrest. "Let's be clear, we have children shooting children in the city of New Orleans."
Cantrell asked for the community's help in solving the Bryant case.
"We know you have information on who the shooter or shooters were. We know that," she said.