Tropical Storm Beta flooding begins near Golden Meadow, Port Fourchon and Louisiana coast
Footage from along the Louisiana coast shows Tropical Storm Beta has started to make its impact Sunday.
Beta is forecast to produce dangerous storm surge as the storm tracks closer to landfall.
Rain totals up to 10 inches are possible into Vernon Parish, the Lake Charles area, Cameron and east into southern Vermilion Parish, said Donald Jones, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Lake Charles.
Isolated totals of 15 inches are possible from the middle Texas coast to southeast Louisiana.
Monday NHC updates:Tropical Storm Beta forecast in southwest Louisiana next week
Storm surge warnings are in effect for the Louisiana coast in Cameron Parish in these areas:
- Port Aransas, Texas to Sabine Pass, Texas including Copano Bay, Aransas Bay, San Antonio Bay, Matagorda Bay, and Galveston Bay.
What is a storm surge warning?
A storm surge warning means the danger of life-threatening inundation, from rising water moving inland from the coastline, exists during the next 36 hours in the indicated locations above.
The NHC says people located in these areas should take all necessary actions to protect life and property from rising water and the potential of other dangerous conditions.
How high might the storm surge get?
The water could reach the following heights above ground somewhere in the indicated areas if the peak surge occurs at the time of high tide, according to NHC:
- Port Aransas, TX to Sabine Pass, TX including Copano Bay, Aransas Bay, San Antonio Bay, Matagorda Bay, and Galveston Bay...2-4 ft
- Sabine Pass, TX to Ocean Springs, MS including Sabine Lake, Lake Calcasieu, Vermilion Bay, Lake Borgne, Lake Pontchartrain, and Lake Maurepas...1-3 ft
- Baffin Bay, TX to Port Aransas, TX including Corpus Christi Bay and Baffin Bay... 1-3 ft
- Mouth of the Rio Grande to Baffin Bay, TX...1-2 ft
The NHC says the deepest water will occur along the immediate coast in areas of onshore winds. The surge will be accompanied by dangerous waves in those areas.
See videos of storm conditions along the Louisiana coast Sunday show the impact as Tropical Storm Beta makes its way to land:
Golden Meadow, Louisiana
Port Fourchon, Louisiana
Venetian Isles, Louisiana
Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana
See Texas conditions:Waters rise, flooding begins as Beta nears coast